Buy Text-Link-Ads here
Recent Comments

    follow OlbyWatch on Twitter

    In

    John Gibson Welcomes Back the Infamous, Deplorable Keith Olbermann

    tonyome wrote: <a href="http://twitchy.com/2014/07/28/voxs-laughable-praise-of-keith-olber... [more](11)

    In

    Welcome Back, Olby!

    syvyn11 wrote: <a href="http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/keith-olbermann-reviving-worst... [more](9)

    In

    Former Obama Support/Donor Releases Song Supporting Romney/Ryan: "We'll Take It Back Again" by Kyle Tucker

    syvyn11 wrote: @philly I don't see that happening. ESPN has turned hyper left in recent... [more](64)

    In

    Blue-Blog-a-Palooza: Ann Romney Edition!

    djthereplay wrote: By mkdawuss on August 29, 2012 6:17 PM Will John Gibson be having a "Red-B... [more](4)

    In

    No Joy in Kosville...Mighty Olby Has Struck Out

    djwolf76 wrote: "But the FOX-GOP relationship (which is far more distinguished and prevalen... [more](23)

    KO Mini Blog



    What's in the Olbermann Flood Feed?
    Subscribe to Olbermann Flood Feed:
    RSS/XML

    KO Countdown Clock


    Warning: mktime() [function.mktime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /home/owatch/www/www.olbermannwatch.com/docs/countdown.php on line 5
    KO's new contract with MSNBC ends in...
    0 days 0 hours 0 minutes

    OlbermannWatch.com "My Faves" Set

    OlbermannWatch.com Favorited Photos from other Flickr Users

    Got OlbyPhotos? See some on Flickr? DO NOT email us. Send us a FlickrMail instead. Include a link to the photo. If we like the photo you will see it displayed in the Olby Flickr Flood above.

    New to Flickr? Sign up for a FREE Flickr account!


    Got some OlbyVideo? See some on YouTube? DO NOT email us. Send us a YouTube Messages instead. Include a link to the video. If we like the video you will see it displayed in our favorites list in our YouTube page.

    New to YouTube? Sign up for a FREE YouTube account!

    Red Meat Blog
    Keith Olbermann Quotes
    Countdown Staff Writers

    If they're not on Keith's payroll...

    ...they should be...

    Crooks & Liars
    Daily Kos
    Eschaton
    Huffington Post
    Media Matters for America
    MyDD
    News Corpse
    No Quarter
    Raw Story
    Talking Points Memo
    Think Progress
    TVNewser
    Keith Lovers

    MSNBC's Countdown
    Bloggerman
    MSNBC Transcripts
    MSNBC Group at MSN

    Drinking with Keith Olbermann
    Either Relevant or True
    KeithOlbermann.org
    Keith Olbermann is Evil
    Olbermann Nation
    Olbermann.org
    Thank You, Keith Olbermann

    Don't Be Such A Douche
    Eyes on Fox
    Liberal Talk Radio
    Oliver Willis
    Sweet Jesus I Hate Bill O'Reilly

    Anonymous Rat
    For This Relief Much Thanks
    Watching Olbermann Watch

    Keith Olbermann Fanlisting Site I
    Keith Olbermann Fanlisting Site II
    Keith Olbermann Links
    Olberfans
    Sports Center Altar
    Nothing for Everyone

    Democratic Underground KO Forum
    Television Without Pity KO Forum
    Loony KO Forum (old)
    Loony KO Forum (new)
    Olberfans Forum (old)
    Olberfans Forum (new)
    Keith Watchers

    186k per second
    Ace of Spades HQ
    Cable Gamer
    Dean's World
    Doug Ross@Journal
    Extreme Mortman
    Fire Keith Olbermann
    Hot Air
    Inside Cable News
    Instapundit
    Jawa Report
    Johnny Dollar's Place
    Just One Minute
    Little Green Footballs
    Mark Levin
    Media Research Center
    Moonbattery.com
    Moorelies
    National Review Media Blog
    Narcissistic Views
    Newsbusters
    Pat Campbell Show
    Radio Equalizer
    Rathergate
    Riehl World View
    Sister Toldjah
    Toys in the Attic
    Webloggin
    The Dark Side of Keith Olbermann
    World According to Carl

    Thanks for the blogroll link!

    Age of Treason
    Bane Rants
    The Blue Site
    Cabal of Doom-De Oppresso Libre
    Chuckoblog
    Conservative Blog Therapy
    Conservathink
    Country Store
    Does Anyone Agree?
    The Drunkablog!
    Eclipse Ramblings
    If I were President of USA
    I'll Lay Down My Glasses
    Instrumental Rationality
    JasonPye.com
    Kevin Dayhoff
    Last Train Out Of Hell
    Leaning Straight Up
    Limestone Roof
    Mein BlogoVault
    NostraBlogAss
    Peacerose Journal
    The Politics of CP
    Public Secrets: from the files of the Irishspy
    Rat Chat
    Return of the Conservatives
    The Right Place
    Rhymes with Right
    seanrobins.com
    Six Meat Buffet
    Sports and Stuff
    Stout Republican
    Stuck On Stupid
    Things I H8
    TruthGuys
    Verum Serum
    WildWeasel

    Friends of OlbyWatch

    Aaron Barnhart
    Eric Deggans
    Jason Clarke
    Ron Coleman
    Victria Zdrok
    Keith Resources

    Google News: Keith Olbermann
    Feedster: Keith Olbermann
    Technorati: Keith Olbermann
    Wikipedia: Keith Olbermann
    Wikipedia: Countdown
    Wikiality: Keith Olbermann
    Keith Olbermann Quotes on Jossip
    Keith Olbermann Photos
    NNDB Olbermann Page
    IMDB Olbermann Page
    Countdown Guest Listing & Transcripts
    Olbermann Watch FAQ
    List of Politics on Countdown (by party)
    Mark Levin's Keith Overbite Page
    Keith Olbermann's Diary at Daily Kos
    Olbermann Watch in the News

    Houston Chronicle
    Playboy
    The Journal News
    National Review
    San Antonio Express
    The Hollywood Reporter
    The Journal News
    Los Angeles Times
    American Journalism Review
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    St. Petersburg Times
    Kansas City Star
    New York Post/Page Six
    Washington Post
    Associated Press
    PBS
    New York Daily News
    Online Journalism Review
    The Washingon Post
    Hartford Courant
    WTWP-AM
    The New York Observer
    The Washington Post


    Countdown with Keith Olbermann
    Great Moments in Broadcast Journalism
    Great Thanks Hall of Fame
    Keith Olbermann
    MSM KO Bandwagon
    Olbermann
    Olbermann Watch Channel on You Tube
    Olbermann Watch Debate
    Olbermann Watch Image Gallery
    Olbermann Watch Polling Service
    OlbermannWatch
    OlbyWatch Link Roundup
    TVNewser "Journalism"

    July 2013
    September 2012
    August 2012
    April 2012
    March 2012
    February 2012
    January 2012
    December 2011
    November 2011
    October 2011
    September 2011
    August 2011
    July 2011
    June 2011
    May 2011
    April 2011
    March 2011
    February 2011
    January 2011
    December 2010
    November 2010
    October 2010
    September 2010
    August 2010
    July 2010
    June 2010
    May 2010
    April 2010
    March 2010
    February 2010
    January 2010
    December 2009
    November 2009
    October 2009
    September 2009
    August 2009
    July 2009
    June 2009
    May 2009
    April 2009
    March 2009
    February 2009
    January 2009
    December 2008
    November 2008
    October 2008
    September 2008
    August 2008
    July 2008
    June 2008
    May 2008
    April 2008
    March 2008
    February 2008
    January 2008
    December 2007
    November 2007
    October 2007
    September 2007
    August 2007
    July 2007
    June 2007
    May 2007
    April 2007
    March 2007
    February 2007
    January 2007
    December 2006
    November 2006
    October 2006
    September 2006
    August 2006
    July 2006
    June 2006
    May 2006
    April 2006
    March 2006
    February 2006
    January 2006
    December 2005
    November 2005
    October 2005
    September 2005
    August 2005
    June 2005
    May 2005
    April 2005
    March 2005
    February 2005
    January 2005
    December 2004
    November 2004

    Google

    Olbermann Watch Masthead

    Managing Editor

    Robert Cox
    olby at olbywatch dot com

    Contributors

    Mark Koldys
    Johnny Dollar's Place

    Brandon Coates
    OlbyWatch

    Chris Matthews' Leg
    Chris Matthews' Leg

    Howard Mortman
    Extreme Mortman

    Trajan 75
    Think Progress Watch

    Konservo
    Konservo

    Doug Krile
    The Krile Files

    Teddy Schatz
    OlbyWatch

    David Lunde
    Lundesigns

    Alex Yuriev
    Zubrcom

    Red Meat
    OlbyWatch



    Technorati Links to OlbyWatchLinks to OlbermannWatch.com

    Technorati Links to OlbyWatch Blog posts tagged with "Olbermann"

    Combined Feed
    (OlbyWatch + KO Mini-blog)

    Who Links To Me


    Mailing List RSS Feed
    Google Groups
    Subscribe to Olbermann Watch Mailing List
    Email:
    Visit this group



    XML
    Add to Google
    Add to My Yahoo!
    Subscribe with Bloglines
    Subscribe in NewsGator Online

    Add to My AOL
    Subscribe with Pluck RSS reader
    R|Mail
    Simpify!
    Add to Technorati Favorites!

    Subscribe in myEarthlink
    Feed Button Help


    Olbermann Watch, "persecuting" Keith since 2004


    May 9, 2007
    Keith Olbermann dismisses terror threat against U.S. troops

    Keith Olbermann derisively dismissed the arrest of six men in an alleged terror plot to kill U.S. troops stationed at Fort Dix in New Jersey, choosing to portray the news as an attempt by the Bush administration to "terrorize" Americans with phony threats"

    OLBERMANN: And one other note today. The ultimate premise of the war in Iraq and the ultimate premise, certainly, of the Republican presidential campaign ahead, counterterrorism. The FBI claims it has broken up a plot to attack Fort Dix in New Jersey. The flaw, though, in the breathless reporting of the purported terror cell, the bureau infiltrated the six-person group after its members took video of themselves practicing with assault weapons, brought the tape to a photo store, and had it transferred to a DVD.

    The details of the supposed plot don't seem to hold together that well either, though that did not stop extensive and entirely credulous coverage on TV, the Internet, in print today. The men supposedly had plans to gain access to the base disguised as pizza delivery guys, then cut the power somehow, they, quote, "hit four, five, or six Humvees and light the whole place, and retreat without any losses." And take the tape of yourselves practicing and have it copied at PhotoMat. In other words, the FBI has arrested six morons.



    Olbermann appears to believe that the arrests were part of a hoax perpetrated by the FBI at the behest of the Bush Administration, the Republican Party and the Guiliani campaign - all enabled by a "credulous" media. From the safety of his anchor desk, Keith "knows" the plot was not real, that there was no actual threat, because the suspects were "morons".

    Keith conveniently ignores that just a few weeks ago there was a deranged "moron" who, acting alone, killed over 30 people with just two handguns. Zacharrias Moussoui was caught before he could carry out the 9/11 attacks because he was such a "moron" that he told flight instructors he only wanted to learn how to take off - yet 19 other "morons" killed close to 3,000 people. The 1993 World Trade Center bombers were such "morons" that one of them went back to the Ryder rental office to claim his deposit on the truck used to blow up the Tower One parking garage - after they had killed six people and injured over 1,000. A border patrol agent prevented the Millennium Plot because one of these "morons" was caught with a cache of explosives in the trunk of his car. A transatlantic flight did not explode over the ocean because Richard Reid was such a "moron" that he was unable to light the fuse for the bomb in his shoe before being tackled by an alert passenger and a flight attendant.

    Apparently Keith Olbermann wants a new government policy to limit its investigations to terrorists with SAT scores over 2,000 and a 3.4 GPA.

    All we can say is that it requires a special degree of malice to believe that any time a terror attack is successful its the U.S. officials who are the "morons" but when these same officials prevent an attack its just a scam to "terrorize" Americans cooked up by the Bush administration in cahoots with law enforcement officials and "the media" to arrest "morons" who are never a "serious" threat. Oh, except when the terror attack is directed at Keith Olbermann. In those cases, any threat - even laundry detergent shoved into an envelope - is so important that "journalists" must take to the airwaves to denounce anyone who does not take the threat as seriously as he and blame everyone who does not share Keith's political agenda.


    Posted by Robert Cox | Permalink | Comments (67) | | View blog reactions

    67 Comments

    Well, said, Bob!

    "Apparently Keith Olbermann wants a new government policy to limit its investigations to terrorists with SAT scores over 2,000 and a 3.4 GPA."

    Nice.

    Oh yeah, Bob.....I forgot about the terrible soap flake incident and how angry Mr. Olbermann got about the fact that The NY Post made light of the incident.....Mmmm....I really would like to see the Olbermann apologists' posts regarding that issue in light of this new attitude Mr. Olbermann has towards alleged terrorists being caught trying to buy weapons that would have been used against soldiers sworn to defend him.

    yep...He's a fool.

    Teheran Keith is Pro-Jihadi.
    He defends tham and downplays them.
    Why can't anyone Olbyloon see that!

    What a hack. If these terroists had been sucessful, Keith would be railing against Bush for not stopping them. Keith would be calling for investigations. Is there anything Keith won't try to spin into anti-Bush propaganda?

    OMG, first time here. Are all the posts this ridiculous???

    The only moron is you, Bob.

    "Olbermann appears to believe that the arrests were part of a hoax"

    APPEARS TO BELIEVE??? But did he report it as a "hoax"?

    "From the safety of his anchor desk, Keith 'knows' the plot was not real..."

    But did he report it as "not real"?

    "...that there was no actual threat, because the suspects were "morons"

    Pretty easy for anyone to make this assessment, given that they were making copies of their propaganda video at a photo store.

    Then you make your own moronic comparison of a college campus to a heavily armed military base.

    Olbermann reported this as a real plot, perpetrated by real morons. Even a moron should be able to realize this.

    Olbermann reported this as a real plot, perpetrated by real morons. Even a moron should be able to realize this.
    Posted by: skis_volants at May 9, 2007 6:34 PM

    Well, said, Bob!
    Posted by: Cecelia at May 9, 2007 5:31 PM

    So much for your theory, skis...

    The man is an idiot! Nothing more, nothing less.

    If Mohammed Atta and the other 9/11 terrorists had been captured on 9/10, the report by Olbermann on their apprehension would look a lot like the above.

    Because, after all, in the world according to Olbermann and his lefty cohorts, the real threat to American comes from those evil neocons and Republicans and certainly not from radical Islamists.

    The charges against Atta et al. are trumped up allegations made by the neocons to win elections, right Keith?

    I never said the Fort Dix plot wasn't real except when I said the plot was a "supposed" plot which is still not as much to worry about the real plot to poison me with with fake anthrax.

    I get paid a lot of money by Abrams to hate on Bush and to bring other people on the show who think like I do to hate on Bush along with me. I provide a valuable service unlike Matthews who kept cutting me off and frying my ass during the debate. Somebody needs to get a plot going against Matthews.


    Yeah, well the FBI arrested a couple morons once who just got a ryder truck and some fertilizer.

    Sure, they blew up a federal building making an improvised bomb; but they were simply morons with a lunatic plan... until it worked.

    Somehow, Olby has decided that threats should be assesed with hindsight, which is good if you don't mind seeing whether the plot actually works before stopping it.

    You guys don't get it. This is a faux plot perfectly timed to put national security on the forefront of the national consciousness.

    It's so obviously a Karl Rove ploy to get the abortion crowd off Rudy's back and the national securrity crowd supporting him, thus giving the ReBOOBlicans a fighting chance against idea-man Obama.

    You guys don't get it. This is a faux plot perfectly timed to put national security on the forefront of the national consciousness.

    It's so obviously a Karl Rove ploy to get the abortion crowd off Rudy's back and the national securrity crowd supporting him, thus giving the ReBOOBlicans a fighting chance against idea-man Obama.

    Tehran Olby hates our troops, plain and simple.

    Chicken Blogger, you sure have stumped me with:

    "You guys don't get it. This is a faux plot perfectly timed to put national security on the forefront of the national consciousness.

    It's so obviously a Karl Rove ploy to get the abortion crowd off Rudy's back and the national securrity crowd supporting him, thus giving the ReBOOBlicans a fighting chance against idea-man Obama.
    Posted by: at May 9, 2007 8:05 PM "

    You are either a genius of parody or a master of self delusion.

    I wouldn't risk a bet on either one unless the line was a thousand to one for both bets.

    Grammie

    "idea-man Obama."

    Posted by: at May 9, 2007 8:05 PM

    "10,000 dead in Kansas" How bout that "idea" man! Can you say "out of touch??" lol

    I saw this comment on a post at PoliPundit which linked this post...thought I'd share it here...

    #

    “the FBI has arrested six morons”

    Olbermann is fortunate that they did not arrest seven.

    Comment by FeralCat | 5/9/2007 - 7:18 pm

    What really gets me is that Keith is angry at the media for even covering the story. They are "credulous", he says. Why is that Keith? You can't stand to see a terror plot foiled while a Republican is President? Does the news somehow hurt your left wing talking points? I mean, what's the deal? Is Keith so committed to his liberal slave masters that he is actually rooting against his country in the fight against those trying to kill us?

    Bob, the more you and your's intentially skew Olbermann's positions and statements, the more people like myself become convinced that the real political hacks are you and your followers.

    See the 6:34 post by skis. No need to repost it.

    "Is Keith so committed to his liberal slave masters that he is actually rooting against his country in the fight against those trying to kill us?"

    No, he just doesn't believe that the danger from radical Islam is that great. He believes, it seems obvious to anyone who has watched him for more than week, that the greater danger comes from Bush and the Republicans than from Islamic fanatics.

    It's been said elsewhere that the only way the left will recognize the threat from Islamic extremists is when we have another attack under a liberal Administration. Only then will they recognize that the danger is not caused by Bush or the neocons or Halliburton or fill-in-the-blank.


    Considering how bumbling and unrealistic this bunch was, I'm thinking "morons" is a pretty accurate description.

    You know, like the guy who thought he could drop the Brooklyn Bridge with a blowtorch. And how about that "binary liquid explosives" plot? You know, the one that turned out to be physically impossible, and the guys planning it were essentially deluding themselves as to their efficaciousness? That got a lot of air-time - the implausibility of the entire thing, however, didn't get talked about much.

    And let's not overlook as to how these six guys were caught - through good old fashion police work; the kind of "fighting terrorism as a crime" thing that conservatives so derided when John Kerry said it.

    Also ... how many of these guys are from Iraq? Oh, that's right ... none of them.

    I remember a few other "morons" who were able to hijack 4 airplanes with nothing more than boxcutter utility knives. Then these "morons" destroyed two American landmarks and the center of our Military nerve system. Hey Olberman, are you sure you don't want to re-define "moron"?

    "the kind of "fighting terrorism as a crime" thing that conservatives so derided when John Kerry said it."

    The problem for us conservatives was that Kerry wished to use the FBI to fight terrorism abroad not just domestically. He viewed terrorism - as he said - as a "nuisance" that we would have to put up with.

    [''We have to get back to the place we were, where terrorists are not the focus of our lives, but they're a nuisance]

    Obviously, if the terrorists are here, we have to use law enforcement tools and instruments to capture them.

    But if they're abroad, using the safety and security of a foreign government, we can't send in FBI agents to arrest them.

    Also ... how many of these guys are from Iraq? Oh, that's right ... none of them.

    Posted by: Kurt Montandon at May 9, 2007 10:30 PM
    Loonboon, just because they weren't from Iraq means nothing. How many of the 9/11 hijackers were from Iraq? Dope.

    "how many of the 9/11 hijackers were from Iraq? Dope."

    Uh...none! I'm surprised you know that Jeff, since you have been so vocal in supporting a war in which we attacked the wrong enemy.

    "a war in which we attacked the wrong enemy."

    Posted by: Mike at May 10, 2007 12:54 AM

    Thanks col mickey.

    "10,000 dead in Kansas" How bout that "idea" man! Can you say "out of touch??" lol

    Posted by: royalking at May 9, 2007 8:59 PM
    He meant to say "10,000 left homeless". It's called a mistake.
    Would you like a recap of Bush's boners of misspeaking ?

    Quarterhorse Jeffrey still wearing those blinders.

    Your leading candidate Guilani has been photographed at least 4 times in full drag.
    Do you think it's a little too much?
    About average or not enough ?

    The president of the UNited States who likes dressing as a woman !

    Dream on simpletons !

    "... how many of these guys are from Iraq? Oh, that's right ... none of them.
    Posted by: Kurt Montandon at May 9, 2007 10:30 PM"

    Sounds about right to me because all the Iraqi terrorist are being kept too busy at home fighting a professional military force, ours. I haven't heard of any Afghanis involved in these sorts of plots either.

    "The US authorities arrested three ethnic Albanian brothers from Serbia’s breakaway Kosovo province, Sain, Elvir and Dritan Duka, another ethnic Albanian, Agron Abdulahu, a Jordanian, Mohamad Ibrahim Shnewer, and Serdar Tatar, a Turk."*

    Four of the terrorist were from Kosovo. Two of those entered the US through Fort Dix in a special immigration initiative by President Clinton in 1999 to relieve the problems associated with DPs.

    Putting it all together what do we make of all this?

    The two countries we are and have been waging war against to protect ourselves and given extensive aid haven't provided any terrorists yet on our own soil. But 2/3 of the latest group come from Kosovo, the MUSLIM Kosovo that we waged war FOR and provided extensive aid to.

    If your point is relevant than so is mine. However, since you brought it up I think something relevant has emerged emerged from it. If you risk yourself and spend to protect a trapped mad dog when you free and enable that dog, guess who is going to be the next victim.

    Grammie

    If your point is relevant than so is mine. However, since you brought it up I think something relevant has emerged emerged from it. If you risk yourself and spend to protect a trapped mad dog when you free and enable that dog, guess who is going to be the next victim.

    Grammie


    Bravo Grammie
    Someone should have taught "hero" Wesley Clark that.

    2:43 PM, concerning the lack of terrorists caught over here from Iraq: "sounds about right to me because all the Iraqi Terrorists are being kept busy at home fighting a professional military force, ours."

    If you accept this line of reasoning, which I emphatically do NOT....then you must also accept the reasoning that young American volunteers being killed "over there" is better than risking Americans being killed "over here".

    THAT is what I find most offensive! These American soldiers that we are willing to sacrifice "over there" are the best our society has to offer. Therefore their lives are every bit as valuable, if not more so, than those of ordinary Americans "over here".

    I've seen this argument put forth or implied many times from war supporters....and it sounds nothing but selfish to me.

    SO I reject that argument on two counts 1) - It's not true, & 2) - It is anything but a moral argument.

    If you accept this line of reasoning, which I emphatically do NOT....then you must also accept the reasoning that young American volunteers being killed "over there" is better than risking Americans being killed "over here".

    THAT is what I find most offensive! These American soldiers that we are willing to sacrifice "over there" are the best our society has to offer. Therefore their lives are every bit as valuable, if not more so, than those of ordinary Americans "over here".

    I've seen this argument put forth or implied many times from war supporters....and it sounds nothing but selfish to me.

    SO I reject that argument on two counts 1) - It's not true, & 2) - It is anything but a moral argument.

    Posted by: Mike at May 10, 2007 2:57 PM


    I don't fully agree with the writer's argument that fighting terrorists in Iraq is the reason we haven't seen any futher terrorist acts here, but I think you're not fully understanding his point either. In missing that, you also miss that you are accusing him of a callousness that is only plausible if you hold your views about the war.

    As an example of what I mean, would you have the same feelings about someone who said that it was better to have fought the Germans abroad, than to have waited and fought them on U.S. soil?

    Not at all Cecelia, mostly because I have never accepted the WWII Germany metaphor as having any relevance to the Iraq situation.

    Many on the right, (not necessarily you), seem to accept the Dick Morris argument stating that keeping Americans 'convenient' to terrorists is our best defense.

    That is a reprehensible argument to me.

    Not at all Cecelia, mostly because I have never accepted the WWII Germany metaphor as having any relevance to the Iraq situation.

    Many on the right, (not necessarily you), seem to accept the Dick Morris argument stating that keeping Americans 'convenient' to terrorists is our best defense.

    That is a reprehensible argument to me.

    Posted by: Mike at May 10, 2007 3:29 PM


    Then use Japan or WWI Germany, and then answer the question would it be better to have fought Japan or WWI Germany abroad or to have waited until we had to fight them here? Is it callous to suggest that it was better?

    You don't have to agree with any analogy between terrorists and Japan or Germany, you merely have to understand that the writer does and was therefore not being as callous as you describe.

    THAT is what I find most offensive! These American soldiers that we are willing to sacrifice "over there" are the best our society has to offer. Therefore their lives are every bit as valuable, if not more so, than those of ordinary Americans "over here".

    Mike

    So how many people "over here" should be allowed to die before we send troops "over there"? Apparently the 2000 who died on 9/11 were not enough for you. I thought the troops were ment to protect the citizens "over here".

    Cecelia, I see you don't like my argument regarding 'proportion' in regards to alledged lies (other thread), but fully embrace essentially the same argument regarding the number of people killed in a single terrorist attack.

    Also, you are misrepresenting my "over there" position since Iraq didn't attack us on 911....something we have to keep pointing out for reasons that remain unclear to me.

    f---toid sez:

    So how many people "over here" should be allowed to die before we send troops "over there"? Apparently the 2000 who died on 9/11 were not enough for you. I thought the troops were ment to protect the citizens "over here".
    Posted by: The Factor at May 10, 2007 3:57 PM

    f---toid!
    BREAKING NEWS!

    Iraq, Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.

    Iraq and the whole middle east is WORST OFF TODAY than before Moron in Chief launched his ill advised "Sprayment of Freedumbs"

    The "we fight them there so we don't fight them here" is immoral UNLESS you accept the tennant that not fighting them "there" would lead to "their" eventual growth to such an extent that they would come "here" in a stronger form. Not implausible.

    Personally, I think the ambiguity in the phrasing may be somewhat intentional or at least instructive. It is both that we hope to weaken "them," and that we would prefer all innocent civilian casualties to be other "thems" as well... even if their have to be a few hundred thousand of them.

    Eventually I think the moral ambiguity here will bite us in the ass, as this is primarily an ideological struggle, not a military one. In response to an ideology of force and oppression we are backing down on our own ideology of freedom and human rights.

    --Eventually I think the moral ambiguity here will bite us in the ass, as this is primarily an ideological struggle, not a military one. In response to an ideology of force and oppression we are backing down on our own ideology of freedom and human rights.

    Posted by: VOK at May 10, 2007 4:14 PM ---

    Ask that to the BUSHWIPE Loyalists turned into Real Raygun Repuglicans.

    Even Bush Sr. had to deal with the results of propping up vile dictators as Saddam and Noriega under Raygun.

    "I AM A REAL RAYGUN REPUGLICAN"

    Cecelia, I see you don't like my argument regarding 'proportion' in regards to alledged lies (other thread), but fully embrace essentially the same argument regarding the number of people killed in a single terrorist attack.

    Also, you are misrepresenting my "over there" position since Iraq didn't attack us on 911....something we have to keep pointing out for reasons that remain unclear to me.

    Posted by: Mike at May 10, 2007 4:03 PM


    Mike, I have no problem whatsoever with your argument. It's your characterization and I'm fine with it. What I am asking is that since you have stated an opinion based on proportion, should you then consider Olbermann's greater visibility in your formulation.

    "Should you then consider Olbermann's greater visibility in your formulation."

    Possibly.

    There's one misspelling of Olby's quote: The photo place's proper spelling is "Fotomat."

    Besides that news reports have mentioned Circuit City...the spelling is from the MSNBC transcript which is taken from Keith's script so please direct your spelling concerns to KO.

    "Should you then consider Olbermann's greater visibility in your formulation."

    Possibly.

    Posted by: Mike at May 10, 2007 6:45 PM


    How big a liar would that make Olbermann?

    I never called Olbermann a liar. I do think he tends to present one side more than the other, but that would accurately be termed an editorial, not a lie, because I personally believe he IS giving his honest opinion.

    Also, given more thought, the question as to whether less exposure excuses telling a more egregious lie is ridiculous.

    "I do think he tends to present one side more than the other, but that would accurately be termed an editorial, not a lie, because I personally believe he IS giving his honest opinion."

    Tends? Just tends?

    More important, Olbermann repeatedly claims (in the Brian Lamb interview and in various other interviews) that he has no agenda, that he's an objective news anchor and that he is covering the news much as one covers a sporting event with no interest in whichever side wins.

    You say he's giving his "honest opinion".

    He says he's giving us straight news.

    KO is either dishonest or so incapable of separating fact from fiction that for all intents and purposes he has no business being in the news business.

    Unless one is so obsessed with Bush hatred tha they don't really care whether he's being faithful to the principles of objectivity and fairness in reporting. As long as he smears the Administration, that's good enough.

    In that case, nevermind.


    Unless one is so obsessed with Bush hatred tha they don't really care whether he's being faithful to the principles of objectivity and fairness in reporting. As long as he smears the Administration, that's good enough.

    In that case, nevermind.


    Posted by: Ohboy at May 11, 2007 12:30 AM

    Ohboy, you hit the nail on the head right here. The loons know Ulbermahn is a hack and an outright liar, they just don't care as long as he bashes Bush and O'Reilly.

    Ohboy, I think you just gave a pretty good description of someone who might have BDS.

    "Unless one is so obsessed with Bush hatred tha they don't really care whether he's being faithful to the principles of objectivity and fairness in reporting. As long as he smears the Administration, that's good enough."

    I think we have more than one regular contributor here who is afflicted with the malady.

    Grammie

    Well,
    What better way to scout out a base than by delivering pizzas to soldiers, pretend to get lost once or twice, maybe a free pie to MPs. Deliver a few times and people just see the truck and don't think twice. You get the run of the place to scout while delivering your product to hungry soldiers.

    And at some point could we please secure our border with Mexico? Last I checked three of the morons were here illegally...

    Vegas Art Guy, two very good points. With time we all accept familiar things as being very normal and totally unremarkable.

    Two of the illegals had dozens of traffic violations that went no further because Philadelphia is a 'sanctuary' city. What our porous borders let through is by government policy in some areas missed again and again and again.

    Grammie

    To Ohboy, Janet, and RK, the retarded cheerleader:

    You seem to think "Bush bashing" is some sort of a 'malady'....a disorder of some kind. I hear that a lot from the right these days.

    We have a president who invaded and occupied a country that did not attack us ..... did it with contrived intelligence .... prosecuted the resulting war with an almost incomprehensible level of incompetence ..... failed to listen to his generals, even as he was claiming to be doing exactly that .... is placing our nation under a debt burden we may never be able to dig out of ..... is in the process of breaking our military ..... and now refuses to listen to reality even as several more Americans are needlessly killed every single new day, all because of his legendary intransigience.

    Because of Bush, and his unecessary war, nearly 4000 Americans have already needlessly died, and several times that number have also been maimed for life. In addition, an incalculable number are being mentally scarred for life from this experience.

    All this from a president who didn't even understand the history or culture of the country he chose to invade....nor did he understand or appreciate the sectarian rivalries of the Shiites and the Sunnis before making that fateful choice.

    Yet people like Janet, Ohboy, and Royalking still seem to have trouble understanding people who 'hate' Bush. They think of it as some sort of a 'malady', someone to be dismissed...because anyone like that must lack rationality.

    Or, for some, it might be just 'politics'....the classic left vs right struggle and nothing more.

    There is nothing irrational about 'hating' George Bush. This one man has been in the process of destroying America from within for the last five years....and he's still at it. People like us have been unable to take his jackhammer away from him...partially because of the hardcore supporters like those three, who would literally march right over the edge of the cliff with him.

    The outcome is going to be the same, regardless of when it finally occurs...it is just a question of how many more Americans will have to die....how much more in debt will our country have to become....and how much more military readiness we will have to sacrifice before reality finally sinks in to this president, along with his hardcore followers.

    No Janet....it's not a 'malady' at all!

    >To Ohboy, Janet, and RK, the retarded cheerleader:

    Mike shows them their doo doo and rubs their nose in it.

    How about the lowest approval rating in a generation? If it is a malady, it's an epidemic affecting over 70% of the population. Wow, that's all the dems and almost half the reps.

    Perhaps middle america has become terrorist loving freedom haters.

    Or perhaps they are just now realizing THEY are smarter than the commander in chief...

    Or perhaps they are just now realizing THEY are smarter than the commander in chief...

    Posted by: LMAO at May 11, 2007 5:13 AM

    Idiotic statement of they day!

    "They think of it as some sort of a 'malady', someone to be dismissed...because anyone like that must lack rationality."

    Posted by: Mike at May 11, 2007 3:25 AM
    Finally it sinks in. Although I think 'mental disorder' describes far leftists like mickey and LAMO more accurately.

    "You seem to think "Bush bashing" is some sort of a 'malady'....a disorder of some kind. I hear that a lot from the right these days."

    When someone, i.e., you, praises the work of a "news anchor" while admitting that that same "news anchor" engages in editorializing and a one-sided presentation of the news, what else can one conclude?

    It's because you're filled with anti-Bush, anti-Republican, anti-neocon (whatever that word means nowadays) hatred.

    Why else would you not be concerned with a "news anchor" presenting honest, objective, balanced news?

    Just because 70% of the public doesn't support Bush (by the way, check the public's opinion of the Democrats in Congress; will KO do a story on these polls?) doesn't mean that all of them hate Bush. No one here has suggested that.

    When we talk about fanatical Bush hatred, we're talking about that segment of the populace that is so filled with anti-Bush sentiment that they are willing to defend and excuse people who are charlatans and frauds because those charlatans and frauds feed their hatred.

    If KO was shown to have completely made up a story - totally falsified a report - and yet that story was critical of Bush, the Bush hating fanatics would come here and defend and apologize and excuse - if not praise - KO for his work.

    THOSE are the Bush hating fanatics who care less about professional in journalism and more about getting this Administration.

    Ideology over reality.

    An example of BDS is commenters on this site who are supporting Olbermann's cavalier attitude towards the "Fort Dix Six". Rather than address the question raised by Olbermann's "report" on the arrests, the OlbyLoons want to debate opinion polls on Iraq and the President. It is just another example of the way these BDS suffering OlbyLoons are incapable of addressing a serious matter.

    This particular story provides a great example of the conspiracy theorist mentality of the OlbyLoons.

    The FBI gets a tip from a U.S. citizen who has viewed a video tape of men training with weapons and talking like jihadis. Apparently Olbermann believes that the FBI should have ignored this tip - as do his OlbyLoon followers.

    Juxtopose this against the recent conclusion of the case brought against some "morons" in England who were under surveillance by British police over the past couple of years. Initially they thought these "morons" were low-level criminals so they did not bother chasing down who the other "morons" the first morons were spending so much time with while they were being followed and video taped. Later the realized that the first set of "morons" were planning terror attacks in the UK. Unfortunately, they never did go back to the video and sort out who those other "morons" were. Those morons then set off explosives in London that killed over 50 people and injured 700.

    In the case of the "Fort Dix Six", the FBI did follow up and their investigation ultimately led to the U.S. attorney's office securing an arrest warrant for them men. They are arrested by the FBI and are now in custody. From all accounts the arrests appear to have been warranted - even Keith is not saying they should not have been arrested.

    Recall Keith's special comment on "habeus corpus" and his demagoguing the notion that the government can drag off anyone it pleases and place them in secret prisons with no access to an attorney, no civil rights at all. The ALTERNATIVE to Keith's rant is that IF the government wants to arrest terror suspects they have to get a warrant which means a judge reviews a publicly filed document and issues a publicly filed warrant. In this case, the government has done exactly what Keith wants - everything is done out in the open, the men's names are made public, their whereabouts are disclosed, the basis for their arrests is entered into a public document, the families are notified and members of the 4th estate are notified.

    So, Keith should be happy about all this right?

    Of course...NOT.

    Keith is upset in this case because the government made the arrests public and the media (surprise) reported on the arrests.

    Keith imagines that somehow these arrests are being made public for political reasons tied to the war in Iraq and the justifications for going to war.

    This is a conspiracy theory, wrapped in a Catch-22, inside a damned-if-you-damned-if-you-don't situation.

    For all the snark in his reporting of this story Keith never actually makes clear what it is he does not like about what happened here other than to cast doubt on the motives of the FBI agents, the lawyers at the U.S. attorney's office and the federal judge who issued the warrant and insinuate that the story is somehow exaggerated and the threat phony.

    Let's just suppose that Keith is right and these six guys were just "morons" playing paint ball and getting in a little target practice at the shooting range. Your at the FBI. A guy with a video tape walks into your office. You see 10 men, shouting Arabic phrases used by jihadis, playing paintball and firing weapons. What do you do with this information? The FBI decides to look into more and finds out that one of these guys has regular access to Fort Dix. Another turns out to be a trained sniper who fought in the Balkan wars in the 1990's. Three of the guys are in the country illegally. You follow them and find that they are engaged in some unusual tourism - visiting military installations. At this point all you know for sure is that three of the guys have overstayed their visa but that's about it. So, what do you do now?

    Apparently on OlbyPlanet you just walk away because quite obviously these guys are just "morons" and the FBI can better spend its time elsewhere.

    Juxtapose ALL of this against Keith's public comments after a guy in California who sent white powder to Olbermann through the U.S. mail. As I recall, Olbermann made it a point to compliment the FBI, to express his appreciation for their work and to take a shot at The New York Post for making light of his cooperation with the FBI Agents.

    So, when the FBI is working on case involving Keith Olbermann they are heroes. When the FBI arrests the Fort Dix Six they are to be mocked.

    These are some of the substantive issues raised by this clip and yet the OlbyLoons have such a bad case of BDS that all they can do is rant and rave about issues that have absolutely nothing to do with this case.

    I would be far more interested to hear an OlbyLoon square the circle between Keith's special comment on the need to protect Habeus Corpus and the legal process that was followed in the case of the Fort Dix Six which led to the arrests being made public and thus covered by the news media.

    No Janet....it's not a 'malady' at all!

    Posted by: Mike at May 11, 2007 3:25 AM


    I think you've got to make some distinctions as to what type of Bush bashing you mean.

    The Bush Administration has made some serious mistakes and one cannot look at the problems in Iraq and then honestly or logically pronounce every critic as being unreasonable. That mindset would be evident of the sort denial and lack of reality-based thinking that the term "Bush bashing malady" is meant to invoke.

    However, there is a sort of reflexively hyperbolic , over-the-top sort of criticism that is different from the sort that I mention above.

    When you get into the area of saying that Bush is "destroying the country" and that we will never recover, I think you're getting there. When you refer to scenarios of malfeasance that are arguable as though they are not arguable, THAT certainly fits the bill in my book.

    However, I wouldn't refer to this sort of partisan prattle as being a malady. Nope, no matter the politics of the person who engages in it, it's just the same old crap, different day.

    Let's not forget the belief that people still think that POTUS had something to do with 9/11. 35%? C'mon... And last I looked were there not more than 23 reasons that Congress used to justify war with Iraq? So the WMD was off (although I'd say Chlorine Bombs count as WMDs) but what about the other 22 reasons? Did they just vanish into a thin air?

    What's sad about Keith is that when he does Sports, he's great. When he does politics, it tickles my gag reflex...

    Cecelia, I was very careful in my choice of words ti indicate that I was not referring to every one in world who disapproves of GWB, much less everyone who posts here. If any took my statement as a personal assault and insult they have to look within themselves why they think they were being singled out.

    Virtually anything however benign, good, bad or even necessary will become pathological if carried to a obsessive compulsion.

    And as regards GWB we seem to have an unusual number of people who have crossed the line into what is popularly called BDS. I very heartily disapproved of President Clinton and his First Lady. I met several people who were absolutely nuts on the subject. They were murders, drug dealers, selling out the country ro the ChiComs etc. In short, deranged on the subject.

    Today it is the same old melody with different words sung to a different audience. I don't know how big the internet was back then because I only used computers for accounting work. Maybe there was as much of it then as now just from different people. I am astounded by what I see and read on the net by people who are as deranged as those I met during Clinton's admin.

    Grammie

    Today it is the same old melody with different words sung to a different audience. I don't know how big the internet was back then because I only used computers for accounting work. Maybe there was as much of it then as now just from different people. I am astounded by what I see and read on the net by people who are as deranged as those I met during Clinton's admin.

    Grammie

    Posted by: Janet Hawkins at May 11, 2007 1:25 PM


    I know you were not including every Bush critic in your remarks, Janet.

    I well remember the internet being filled with conspiracy theories about the Clintons.

    I think of that time often when I watch Olbermann's show. All such things were discussed on cable news then too--- wag the dog theories, Vince Foster's suicide, the storing of raw FBI files at the WH, travelgate, Waco, Lewinsky, etc, but I can't think of show like Countdown where they were aired without any form of rebuttal or even without the usual Clinton spokesperson-- Carville, Begala, Davis-- being there to rebut.

    There is no one on the right who could have hosted "special comments" and unsubstanciated and unrebutted accusations against Democrats, who could have effectively blacklisted liberals and not have been excoriated by media critics and considered somehow irreputable and an embarrassing and pandering show, among journalists in general.

    The closest thing that might have come to it was that Savage guy's show, but I'm not sure if he aired both sides because I never watched it.

    If Olbermann were a conservative with his type of show, it wouldn't just be the blue blogs and Air America sorts that would go after him. He'd be discounted, sneered over, and shot at, by his fellow journalists.

    "He'd be discounted, sneered over, and shot at, by his fellow journalists."

    Bingo. Absolutely.

    The same media critics (they've been linked to at this site) that fawn over Olbermann for his reporting would be denouncing him for injecting his "rightwing" views into his news broadcasts.

    It's not - for the most part - the criticism of this Administration from KO that bothers me. Some of it is legitimate; some not. Some absurdly unfair. But they're big boys and girls and can take the heat.

    It's the absolute hackery in defense of the Democrats that is appalling. They run Congres now Olbermann. How about a little scrutiny of their policies and their actions?

    The argument that, because the GOP controlled both Congress and the Presidency, greater scrutiny of the Republicans was necessary is no longer valid.

    'Course, KO considers criticizing the Democrats for not being aggressive enough against the Republicans as treating boths parties fairly.

    Sheesh.


    It's comical to read Grammie and Ceceila reminescing about old times during the Clinton years.

    Things are so bad right now in this country that I miss those years too.

    It's comical to read Grammie and Ceceila reminescing about old times during the Clinton years.

    Things are so bad right now in this country that I miss those years too.


    Posted by: at May 11, 2007 6:39 PM


    You'd be better off reminescing over your grade school days. That might help you remember some concepts from a reading comprehension class.

    "When we talk about fanatical Bush hatred, we're talking about that segment of the populace that is so filled with anti-Bush sentiment that they are willing to defend and excuse people who are charlatans and frauds because those charlatans and frauds feed their hatred."

    "fanatical Bush hatred" is called caring about the damage this man has done to this country and the world.
    Too bad you don't have a conscience.

    "fanatical Bush hatred" is called caring about the damage this man has done to this country and the world.
    Too bad you don't have a conscience."


    Thanks for that example.

    I'll add it to the list that includes the 35% of Democrats who believe that Bush knew in advance that 9/11 was going to happen.

    I especially like that part about the "damage to the world."

    But why limit it to this solar system?


    It's comical to read Grammie and Ceceila reminescing about old times during the Clinton years.

    Things are so bad right now in this country that I miss those years too.


    Posted by: at May 11, 2007 6:39 PM
    Things couldn't be better for me, sorry to hear things are so bad in your world, anonyloon.

    Wow isn't Bush the greatest!

    Wish we could have 4 more years, hey even 8!

    Republican= will follow and believe anything

    It would seem they actually were morons. With the guns that are easy to get thanks to the NRA, they were gonna just drive onto the base at Fort Dix? Are you kidding? If we were at war with an actual country and not a tactic (war on terror?) That's like declaring "war on revenge"! But if we were at war with a country, that country wouldn't try a frontal attack on a fortified military base! We know the Bushies don't protect our nuclear power plants at all, or our ports, yet these idiots want to attack a MILITARY BASE instead? Keith was right. Who are the morons? Certainly these stupid, would-be pizza guys. You can't drive onto a base! If you did they would kill you and everyone with you, two feet inside the first gate...then ask questions. That should be the least of our worries. It WAS indeed fear-mongering and you fell for it.